Monday, June 3, 2024

From the Basque Country to Toledo

 I got into Toledo today, but I'll talk about that in the next entry.

 It has been a while since I was able to write. I was quite busy, walking, walking, walking (sometimes in the rain) in San Sebastián and Bilbao. Of course, I had some good company in Yolanda, so less time alone, writing the blog. The other thing was that in Bilbao, I was staying in a one-star hotel. There was no desk to write on. I tried sitting up in bed and writing, but that put out my lower back. So, while dealing with a throbbing knee, I did not want to bring on a bad back.

My knee is improving. I took it 
relatively easy for a couple of days, taking the tram instead of walking. And Yolanda was very good to me, carrying my bag whenever she was there, and this morning she took my bag down the stairs and accompanied me to the bus station on the tram so she could carry it all the way into the bus. 

Loved the pinxhos in San Sebastián. 



We ended up eating at Pepe's Bar, which was around the corner from my hotel, a few times. And we walked into town every day, which was about two kilometres from my hotel, along the Paso Nuevo which follows the beach. 


Beautiful beaches and clean streets in San Sebastián. Elegant buildings. You can see there's lots of money, and lots of civic pride. No graffiti. 


Then, on different days because we'd planned it separately, both Yolanda and I went to Bilbao. Wonderful city. A little bit grittier than San Sebastián. I went there because I wanted to see the Guggenheim. It was impressive! Yolanda went to Bilbao because that's where the international airport is, and she will fly out of there tomorrow to join her family in Amsterdam.

Here is a photo I took early in the morning in Bilbao, a city with hundreds of bridges.


The Guggenheim Museum took up almost half the day yesterday. 


Well, it's nearly my bedtime, so I'm going to cut this short, have a shower and go to bed. I was too worried about the long trip today to get much sleep last night. 


4 comments:

  1. Lovely photo of you and Yolanda. You look well and happy . Love Yolanda’s sandals. Hopefully you’ll keep in touch with her. Is Basque language very different to Spanish? Amazing sand sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yolanda has a shoe fetish, I think. Well, she just loves good quality clothes and shoes. I hope to keep in contact with her. Yes, the Basque language is very different from Spanish. I think it's more akin to Hungarian than any other European language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The above comment is from Maria too.

      Delete
  3. Hello Maria
    So good to read of your adventures.
    Beautiful Photos of San Sebastian and Bilbao. It was great to see You and Yolanda in one of the photos. What an angel she has been. I'm glad you had company.
    All that walking sounds tiring but worth it I'm sure.
    I don't know if I would enjoy that meal but it looks impressive.
    Lots of Love
    Sophie ❤️

    ReplyDelete