Wednesday, May 29, 2024

The not-so-seasoned traveller comes undone


6:30 am. Wednesday 29/05/2024

(I stepped out of the station for a few minutes to take a tourist snap of Valencia, the only one I will have this trip. My train is about to leave.)

At the Chamartín Station bright and early for my train to   San Sebastián- Donostia. Alarm for 5a.m. so that I could catch the taxi at 6 to the station. At Chamartín,  waiting, waiting, waiting with other impatient passengers for the platform number to appear on the indicator board. It finally appeared at about 5 minutes before the train was due to leave, so joined the rush  down the escalators to platform 17. 


I found carriage 7, dragged my now very heavy suitcase in the door, stowed it and started looking for my seat. A passenger told me to try upstairs. I didn't know there was an upstairs, but up I go. Couldn't find 13D anywhere. 

Then a conductor found me and I showed her my ticket. She said this train wasn't going to San Sebastián. No, it's going  to Valencia! Apparently there were two trains on platform 17, and I caught the wrong one! While I  checked the carriage number very successfully, I didn't check the name of railway company. I needed Renfe and I'm on an Ouigo train, or something like that.


Well, she said I'd have to pay for the journey, to Valencia, but neither of my bankcards worked on her machine, so I scored a gratuitous trip to Valencia. So lucky. I only have to pay for two trips, not three.


So now I'm sitting on the train to San Sebastian in Valencia, after cooling my heels here in the station for an hour and a half. Got a new ticket, for three times as much as the first wasted ticket cost me. I have insurance but not sure how to collect. 





7 comments:

  1. Hello Maria
    Oh no!
    I'm so sorry. Hopefully now you are waiting for the train to San Sebastian everything will be alright.
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Maria
    Oh no!
    I'm so sorry. Hopefully now that you are waiting for the Train to San Sebastian everything will be ok.
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it turned out all right in the end. What should have been a five-hour trip turned into a 17-hour trip but gave me the great advantage of meeting a woman, Yolanda, from San Diego. We were waiting on the platform at Camp de Tarragona where we had alighted for our connecting train to San Sebastián. She's bilingual in Spanish. We spoke Spanish and then English.

    Well, Yolanda is incredibly strong and she lifted and stowed my now much heavier suitcase. Her seat was further down the train and every seat was full. Later, when the other passengers started leaving at the stops closer to San Sebastián, I walked up and found her again. We discovered we were staying close to each other in the old part of town, and shared a taxi. I suggested that we go out for Pinxhos, the Basque version of tapas, but really much more elaborate (and delicious). We got the taxi to stop at my place, which is elegant, dropped our luggage, and walked around the corner to Pepe's bar. The pinxhos were incredible! We had octopus, anchovies. I should have taken photos because they were works of art. I guess I was too hungry. It was about 9:30 at night and I hadn't eaten since about 9 a.m. The photos are on my to-do list for tonight.

    Anyway, Yolanda. . . what a story. She was an FBI agent for 30 years. Can you believe that? I don't think I believed they really existed. She's a real Scully! We've exchanged numbers and I believe we'll be meeting up today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely outcome . Serendipity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The day ended well. And you have a new friend. Yolanda sounds nice.
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a really plot twist! I'm so happy you finally got something good as an outcome! You're admirable for all the things you do, but you must take care of yourself! Rest from time to time and try to buy some ointments for your knees! I'm pretty sure you can find some pharmacies or local store that sell them.

    I dropped you a message on your WhatsApp...

    Cheers, Breyner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Breyner. My knee is a bit better.

    ReplyDelete