Wednesday, June 5, 2024

With Don Quixote in Toledo




 Writing this from Almacen 51. Could not see my way to ordering caramancas ( which is a regional specialty) for brunch. (Not a fan of pork.) However, I'm trying the favourite drink of Spain--Sidra--a dry cider. It's going to take me all day to drink it at this rate.

Don Quixote started his epic journey from Toledo. His image is everywhere.

I decided that I didn't feel like doing the train trip out so soon, so I tried to get 5 more days in the accommodation. I could only get two more days, so I leave here on the 7th to spend 3 days in Ávila, which has the Roman walls, as here in Toledo, but I think it may be quieter.

Returning to Madrid on 11th of June,, so I'll have every opportunity to make my flight home on the 13th. (Not about to risk missing the plane for a train problem as happened in London a couple of years ago.)

I love Toledo, but the number of tourists makes it exhausting! The narrow lanes are full of cars, school children on excursions, fat Americans in groups, loud Chinese with their obnoxious mobile phones, shooting everything they see after placing themselves between my lens and my subject. 

Toledo is really being loved to death! The fact that it's only a 36-minute train ride from Madrid makes it too easy to visit. 

3 comments:

  1. Hello Maria
    Toledo looks like a beautiful place. It's a shame it's so popular with the tourists. Maybe Avila will be much better for photos.
    I'm glad you are well. Is your knee better?
    It's been very cold and wet here at home.
    Lots of love
    Sophie ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was a bit negative about the place because of the tourists, but it is truly magnificent. My knee is much better , thank you! Here it's hit, hot, hot! I'm waiting here at the beautiful station for my train which leaves in an hour. I managed the trip to the station by bus! So proud of myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maria.Sounds like a beautiful part of the world. Are you on a similar trail to Rob Bryson and Steve Coogan in Trip to Spain?

    ReplyDelete