Sunday, April 30, 2023

Oaxaca, where it's all happening!


This is my third day in Oaxaca, I think. Great food! So beautiful around the historic centre. And every day, it seems, is a fiesta. 

The day I arrived there was a parade down the street with all the kids wearing traditional Oaxacan clothes. Very cute (when you're not listening to them scream aboard a long-haul flight.) It's a paradise for photographers here. At least, I've taken so many photos, I haven't had time to edit them all, or even look at them again. That's why I've been slack with updating the blog. Between running around taking photos all day and not able to sleep well at night, well, I'm tired and a little slack. Then, on Saturday, there were three weddings and a 15th birthday party, all with their own parades down the street. It seems it's traditional here for the weddings to have a humungous bride and groom in the parade. (You can see the much smaller person controlling the groom peering out from his belly button.) I just thought this groom was a cracker. He's got such a beautiful smile. 

Today I went to a big market. Very hot and very crowded. I wanted to eat, but I didn't want to risk Montezuma's revenge, so I'll eat here in town again. 

Yesterday, you tried to call me Sophie, but apparently I don't have the right plan to receive and make calls to Australia. Please contact me on the new number from WhatsApp. It's not a scam. I have sent proof to Emanuel. (I don't want to put the Mexican number here because the blog is not as secure as WhatsApp.)

Yesterday I spent a couple of hours over breakfast, sitting in a cafe. I took photos of the zocalo from the shadows of the cafe which is right on the square. I had my Spanish lesson, with Breyner, there. 

I'm thinking of doing a day trip tomorrow, but I'm not sure about the sleeping situation. It's a bit tiring to be out all day and it's exhausting in the Mexican sun. Everyone dives for shade wherever they can. 

Ok, I'm going to sign off so that this entry can  go to you. 





2 comments:

  1. Hello Maria
    I'm glad you are having fun and taking lots of photos.
    It sure is a fun place to be.
    I loved the giant bride and groom.
    I hope you get some decent sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sophie. I hope you're feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete