Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Coyoacán

Was able to sleep almost normally last night. I didn't eat after a snack on the plane that morning, having bloated myself with the airline food the day before. This morning when I woke I had a great hunger and thirst.



Took an Uber to Coyoacán, famous for being the barrio where Frida Kahlo's house is. I remembered it as very pleasant, lots of trees and parks, with good restaurants. I found one of those and hung there for a couple of hours, eating and drinking and taking photos from the shade of the restaurant out on the parade of people passing and the hawkers selling hats and blankets, in the bright sunshine outside. 


When I couldn't squeeze in another mouthful, I walked down to an artesanal market. After that I found a bench in the shade and sat there for another hour. In the sunshine, it's pretty exhausting. 




Everyone finds shade and walks in it, if they can, or sits in it. I guess I'm still a bit tired, but there is also something about being at this altitude that wears me out more. 





Then I dragged my weary body to the church: Parroquia San Juan Bautista.

Tomorrow, I'm going to El Palacio de Bellas Artes, where I hope to see one of Diego Rivera's famous murals. Alex has recommended a restaurant there, too. I'm afraid I'll be wearing bigger muffin tops by the time I get home. 


2 comments:

  1. Wow. It's quite beautiful.
    You have been very busy! I was worried when we weren't getting updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like it's all better now. Hope so. I love getting your feedback. It gets lonely sometimes with no friends or family here.

    ReplyDelete