Monday, July 4, 2022

Yes, but nah. . .


 I am a bit rusty. Last time I checked the estimated departure time was 24 hours ago, and the plane was on time, then. Got here to an almost deserted check-in line. Well, I thought, QANTAS' suggestion to arrive 4 hours before flight at 3.55 p.m. must have solved staff shortages, queues and long delays! 

No waiting. Straight to the guy sitting next to the conveyor belt for the checked luggage. 

"You know the flight is one hour late?" he asked me. No, I didn't know because I didn't bloody check. 

"Didn't you get a text message from QANTAS?" No, actually. He read out my phone number. Yep, that's it. "Well, it's not leaving until 8 o'clock." 

Oh, that's a four-hour delay! 

So, thought I'd get a head start on my blog. Start as you mean to go on? Sorry it's not more exciting or scenic. 

Bugger the school holidays! 

I was fine. Perched myself on a stool in front of a big window, looking at the planes as I waited for my muse. Just been invaded by an Indian (Nepali?) family with eight children who are now standing between me and the window, chattering excitedly in high-pitched voices (and that's only the mothers). Screaming baby behind me in the lounge area. The volume of the hubbub is increasing exponentially. Might have to move away. 


Now there is a long line, snaking around the bench where I am sitting, coming between me and the view. God! the children. Glad they'll all be on this flight and not on mine, 7 hours down the track. 

I will delay my next until I have something good to report. 


10 comments:

  1. Thank you for your update even though your news isn't so great. Lots of coffees - I guess. Enjoy 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not so good as yet. Otis had his flight cancelled to Perth. He had to sleep over and caught another one the next morning.Maybe a book from the book store will keep you going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth,

      Have just eaten and had a tiny prosecco and things don’t seem so bad after all. Poor Otis! His problem the rain, or previous cancelled flights?

      Have found a perch in a bar with a city view. Only six and a bit hours left.

      Delete
    2. As for literature, have picked up “Burial Rites”, an Icelandic story about a miscarriage of justice affecting a woman. Story is very familiar. Not sure why. Will let you know how it goes.

      Delete
    3. Not sure exactly what happened to Otis. Got information via Nina who also said he left Dapto far too early because Willyand I kept ‘harping on’about not wanting to miss his flight

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Anne. Glad to know someone is hearing me scream.

    Just got QANTAS’ message telling me the plane will be five and a half hours late. A tiny problem there with messaging. First tell travellers to be there 4 hours before the flight and then, after they take your advice and are at the airport at the right time, tell them their flight is delayed five and a half hours. (Yes, latest advice is the plane leaves after 9:00 pm.) They gave me a couple of meal vouchers but the restaurant didn’t accept them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Todo estara muy bien! Un vuelo retrasado siempre es inminente, pero ya pronto estara en su lugar de destino.
    ¡Cuidado con tanto niño ruidoso! Hahaha
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Estoy todo bien, en Londres y ya. Solamente tengo que aprender cómo dormir otra vez en otra zona horaria. Son casi las 4 de la madrugada :-( Muchas gracias por tu mensaje.

      Delete