Thursday, July 14, 2022

Edinburgh


 My second night here. I find the city overwhelming: the height of the buildings and the distances to be walked, most uphill. I am cultivating a large blister on my right little toe. Have wrapped it in a bandaid but it's still not a happy chappy, the result of my walking everywhere yesterday before I downloaded the Lothian bus and tram app, and learned how to get around in a little more comfort.


I went to the old town by bus this morning, intending to visit Edinburgh Castle, but I was unable to get a reservation, so I reserved my entry for between 2:00 and 2:30 pm, tomorrow. 

As I couldn't get into the castle, I went up to have a look at the Camera Obscura, along with multiple families--all with many children. It's the second Camera Obscura I have seen. The other was in Havana, so I guess I'm two-thirds of the way into a new collection.


This morning I booked my trip to the Shetlands, rather stupidly, I think, without having booked my accommodation.  I was unable to score a cabin on the ferry, which is rather sad because the trip takes 12 hours, I think. However, in lieu of a nice private, quiet and and totally horizontal bed, I did get a pod. 

I didn't know what a pod might pacifically entail at first: something like a coffin? However, the online photos showed something resembling an airline seat, with more legroom. Not I need very much of that.

Apparently the pod area is sectioned off from the area where the other travellers, who didn't book a pod, are, so I'm hoping I'll be able to sleep a bit. Wasn't able to get the car on the same ferry as me. No more car space available, so I'll go on the passenger ferry and the car will go on the cargo ferry. 

So far, so good, I thought. At least I can get there. 

However, when I tried to book accommodation, all the booking sites: Booking.com, Hotel.com, Trivago.com, etc, all had no availability for the dates I needed. I had already paid (a lot) for the ferry; now I started to think I would have to sleep in the car while on the island. 

Finally, I managed to get a room, with a shared bathroom, on Airbnb. (There was only one availability there, so my options were somewhat limited.) I haven't shared a bathroom in many years, and I wouldn't  have agreed to it unless I was desperate. Also, the accommodation is not where I wanted it to be, but I can't be too picky. It was that or try to get a refund from the ferry company, and not go to the Shetlands at all. 



5 comments:

  1. An adventure indeed. I’m at home cleaning out cupboards. Your quest to Shetland is almost done.Just like a fairy tail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be fantastic if I get there without too much more trouble!

      Delete
  2. Another great update. I think you'll need your winter jacket for "The Shetlands" and take care of your shoulder as there will be many bird photos to be taken on the Islands. Still cold here, a full moon and a little sun 🌞

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have my puffy jacket ready to go. Today the expected Scottish weather started to manifest. However, not cold enough yet to wear the jumper AND the rain jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're nearly there. I wonder what the Shetlands will be like.
    Don't forget to rest and look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete