Friday, July 22, 2016

Peruvian Exit 21/07/16

After Alex's bout with dysentery, my travel plans changed. Cusco and Machu Pichu had to be scrubbed and I returned to Lima from Puno. I hated Lima, but it is at sea level, so no soroche for either of us: no panting breathlessness, no headache. 

Plenty of noise pollution, though. Car alarms serenade the streets all day and night; cars and buses blast the air constantly with their ear splitting horns. Taxis  blast possible clients, even if we are walking in the opposite direction on a one-way street. Alex happened upon a part of Milleflores one day where a sign listed the fine for using the horn unnecessarily; a policeman was writing tickets. The street was silent. 


Plenty of noise, white sky, carbon monoxide, but no soroche. No joy in walking the streets. Everything is so far from everything else that you risk lung cancer if you go for a long walk; and you risk being deafened by the sound of the car horns. 


But I found something lovely to do here, and that was to walk the Malecon, which I did a few times. I also had a wonderful lunch in La Rosa NĂ¡utica yesterday. 



No comments:

Post a Comment