Wednesday, December 17, 2014

In the Riad, the Clingon gets Welcome News








We're staying in a riad: a multistorey dwelling, that opens onto what used to be a courtyard. The rooms rise above the former courtyard on all sides. Several hundred years old but recently renovated by the Australian owner and her Moroccan husband. I took the photo from the roof garden at sunset last night.

The last two days have been of great interest to the Clingon, not just because we're staying in Fez and have been exploring the medina. The HSC results came out two nights ago, and the ATAR came out last night. He did very well (topped his school) in both Spanish Continuers and Ancient History. He came 5th in the state in Spanish Continuers. His ATAR is 92.65, which he is very happy with.






I don't travel to shop, dear reader. My bag is far too heavy as it is, and I have been shedding whatever I could at checkout. But yesterday I was glad to buy a leather handbag. (I will now superannuate the embroidered cloth bag you may have seen on my shoulder in the past: I realised it was very easy to dip a hand into and just snatch out anything rattling around in there.) I've bought myself a bag with several pockets and zips for locking contents in place. Also bought a leather jacket from a leather tannery co-op in the medina. (I haven't owned one of those since the 80's, when all the teachers at ILI in Cairo bought one.)







As for us, we are off to Meknes for the day, today, and will return to sleep here tonight, and hope to take off for points further south--the desert--tomorrow. After the desert, we'll spend a couple of days in Marrakech. We fly out of Casablanca for Lisbon on 28th December.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad



Location:Derb Moulay Abdellah Fadili,Fès Médina,Morocco

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your result Alex. Hope you're celebrating with that great score, Look out world!

    ReplyDelete